What is Cotton Basics?
Cotton Basics is small clothing business located in the Bay Area of California. We design, sew, dye, screen print, and sell quality, comfortable garments. Our clothing is primarily made from cotton, linen, and rayon. The textiles we use are California-sourced, and our manufacturing is done in Oakland, California. Cotton Basics has been providing locally-produced clothing since 1982.
When can I expect my order to be shipped?
We generally ship items within 7-8 business days, but sometimes orders can take up to 3-4 weeks if we’re busy, as we usually dye to order. In rare cases, shipment can be 6-8 weeks (for black garments that are not in stock, as it’s the only color we don’t dye in-house). If you have a deadline for shipment, please let us know before you place an order, so we can figure out a way to meet your schedule (if possible). Use the Contact Us form for any requests.
Shipment is typically via US Postal Service Priority Mail for orders over 1lb (first class for orders under 1lb). Delivery within the US is typically 1-3 business days.
Feel free to Contact Us for status of your order.
Is in-store pickup an option?
Yes, if your shipping address is within the Bay Area, In-store pickup will be an option that you can select during checkout. The default store for pick-up is our Berkeley store: 2907 College Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94705. If you’d rather pick up at our Piedmont Avenue (Oakland) store, please write your preference into the notes. Please also include your phone number with the order. We will contact you when you order is ready to be picked up. There is no charge for this option.
Can I add notes to my order?
Yes, when specifying your Shipping address and method, there is a space to add Order Comments.
Do I have to pay with PayPal? Must I have a PayPal account?
No, you don't have to pay with PayPal. You don't even have to have a PayPal account. Here is how to use your credit card when checking out:
1. When you are ready to check out, click the "Proceed to checkout" button, the "Check out now" button, or the "Check out" button. Don't click one of the yellow PayPal buttons.
2. On the Checkout page, fill in the Customer, Shipping, and Billing information. (You can check out as a guest, or you can sign up for an account as a Cotton Basics' customer.)
3. In the Payment section, click the Credit Card option (if it isn't already selected). Enter your credit card information.
4. Click the box next to "Yes, I agree with the terms and conditions." There is a link there to see what those terms and conditions are.
5. Click the "PLACE ORDER" button.
Can I reorder something that is not showing in the online store?
If you have purchased an item from us before and can't find it on our website, please don't hesitate to use the Contact Us form to ask us about it. Not everything is listed in our online store, and sometimes we are able to do custom orders for things we no longer produce on a regular basis. Custom orders, if accepted, may take 2-4 weeks to ship, as we make to order. Please note that the price may be higher than you previously paid, if we have to make it to order. Please also note that not all past designs will remain available.
How consistent are the sizes and colors?
We try our best to keep our sizing and colors consistent, but we don’t mass-produce our garments. This means there will be some variation from batch to batch in sizing and color.
Do you offer organic cotton?
Some of our screen-printed apparel is made from organic cotton. Product made from such material will say so in either the product name or product description.
Will my garment shrink?
The screen-printed products may shrink a tiny bit. Everything else, though, has been pre-shrunk.
What are the care instructions?
Machine wash, warm dry. Products are hand-dyed, and colors may bleed, so wash similar colors together, and dark colors separately from lighter colors. After drying, ironing or steaming may be required.
Do you do alterations, or make garments to order with custom dimensions?
We no longer offer this service.
How do I reset my password?
1. On the main Cotton Basics page, click SIGN IN at the top right.
2. In the Sign In page, click "Forgot your password?". This will take you to a "Reset Password" page.
3. Enter your email address, and then click the Reset Password button.
4. Go to your email Inbox, and look for an email from cottonbasics, with the Subject "Password change request for cottonbasics". Open the email. Click the link in the email. This will take you to a new "Change Password" window.
5. Enter a new password. It must contain at least 7 characters and at least 1 number and 1 letter. Type your new password again, into the Confirm Password box, and then click Continue. If there are no errors, you will be taken to the Sign In page, where you can sign in with your email address and new password. Make a note of your new password, for future use.
What if I have a question, comment, or complaint about your website?
We would love your feedback! Please use the Contact Us form to tell us what you are experiencing. Thank you!